|List of Recipes.
1. Chefs: Yesterday and Toady.
2. Early Influences: Discovering a Passion for Food.
3. Cooking Schools: Learning in the Classroom.
4. Apprenticing: Learning in the Kitchen.
5. Getting In: Starting at the Bottom.
6. Developing as a Cook: The Next Level.
7. The Business of Cooking: Operating and Running a Restaurant.
8. Travel, Eating, and Reading: Learning Something New Everyday.
9. Preserving in the Face of Reality: Through Bad Times and Good.
10. What’s Next?: The Chef as Alchemist.
Appendix A: Selected Professional Cooking Schools in the United States and Abroad.
Appendix B: Leading Culinary Organizations.
Appendix C: Selected Culinary Media and Resources.
Appendix D: Brief Biographies of Chefs Interviewed.